Sacrament of Baptism
Contact Pat Novak - (804) 740-4044, ext. 113
Special Note: As our community deals with COVID-19, we want to offer families as many options as possible so that the Baptism of their child may take place in a context that is both safe and joyful. For the remainder of the year 2020, we are happy to invite families to schedule Baptisms at either a Weekend Mass, or in more private celebration on a Saturday with one of our deacons. Since COVID regulations constantly evolve, we will reassess all Baptism options and develop a plan for how and when this sacrament will be celebrated in 2021. We anticipate that we will be able to share more details about this plan by the beginning of January, at which time we will be in a position to start scheduling additional Baptisms. We are grateful for your patience and understanding!
We welcome your child to be baptized at St. Mary's. Whenever we welcome new life, our life as a faith community is enhanced. Parents, godparents, and the community promise to share the joys and challenges of living our Catholic faith.
As a Sacrament of Initiation, Baptism is the first step in our life-long journey of faith. Parents who decide to have their baby baptized are also choosing to share their own faith by the example of their words and actions. Baptism, then, makes visible your commitment and that of the godparents you choose, to the ongoing growth in faith of your child. A faith that is alive and active is "caught" more than it is "taught."
We hope that this time of preparation and celebration will be an opportunity for you to both reflect on your faith and to renew your commitment to living out your chosen responsibilities. May you understand as addressed to you the words of Christ to His disciples: "Teach them to carry out everything I have commanded you. And know that I am with you always...."
- In compliance with diocesan policy, parents are expected to participate in two baptismal preparation sessions prior to scheduling their child's baptism.
- The family of the child to be baptized is to be a registered member of St. Mary's Parish for at least three months.
- Baptism initiates a child into the faith community of the Catholic Church. It is celebrated in the midst of the parish community, whose presence witnesses its willingness to support and encourage its newest members and their parents. Therefore, Baptism is celebrated during our weekend Eucharistic Liturgies.
- The fee for baptismal materials is $30. Payment may be made during the preparation meeting.
- Parent will need to call Pat Novak at the Parish Office to register for Baptismal Sessions.